Sunday 20 January 2013

Cloud Tutorial

A few people have asked how I created the cloud effect in my Dad's birthday card, so I thought I'd whizz through a quick tutorial...

Firstly, the things you need:

Use a piece of scrap card as blotting paper, a piece of dish sponge cut down to a manageable size and Pool Party Stampin' Pad.


To create the fluffy outlines, use 2 scallop circles or ovals glue together. Mine were punched from the 2 3/8 Stampin' Up! punch, then glued together with the Stampin' Up! liquid glue like this:



Firstly, place the template onto your backing card at an angle


Then, using the sponge, and onto your desired size of backing card, I dab the sponge into the stampin' pad, blot off the excess a couple of times on the template or blotting card, then stamp lightly around the edge of the template. Hold onto the template so that it doesn't slide:



Be careful to use a small surface area (I tend to wrap the sponge around my index finger and just used the end of my finger) and brush from on top of your template, pushing slightly away from the edges.


You're aiming for an effect like this:


Then, varying the angles, length and position of the template, continue like this:


At the end, I tend to turn my card 180 degrees and use my template on the bottom space to add the fluffy edges to the bottom. The end result will look something like this:



4 comments:

  1. I love this effect Natalie! I'll dig out my scalloped circle punch & make a template too x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lucy, glad you enjoyed it, and glad it's inspired you! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic idea! Seen it on Pintrest~ Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. Hope it's inspired you to use this technique to make some of your own cloudy backgrounds! x

      Delete